Monday, March 26, 2007

Sometimes you just need to roll up your window

I was sitting in the car-riders pickup line at my child's school today. On warm days when I can roll my windows down while I wait I can always "enjoy" what is going on in the cars around me. One day last fall I got to enjoy second-hand pot smoke from a Tokin' Momma in a mini-van listening to Pink Floyd (I kid you not). Some days I get to listen to the rantings of conservative commentators, which usually forces me to roll up my windows. Some days I have unfortunately parked next to a POS car with rattly speakers in the trunk thumpin' rap. Turned out that was the aunt of one of my daughter's classmates.

Today however I was in for a real treat. The vehicle next to me was a farm truck. How do I know the driver was a farmer? Well, let's just say his attire and accouterments in the truck hinted at his vocation. Before I go any farther, I have NOTHING against farmers...I love 'em as a matter of fact. Anyway...the farm truck was occupied by two adults and a baby. A baby in a car seat, in all likelihood not tethered to the actual truck. I was wondering in glancing over at them where they were going to put any more passengers (the child they were waiting to pick up) in the vehicle. But, they had their windows down and were playing a fun local country station with lots of good music issuing forth, so I enjoyed it while I thumbed through a catalog and chatted with PE. Well, the two adults must have been enjoying some carbonated beverages because they commenced to burpin'. And they burped, and they burped. What really got me, other than this was gross to listen to, was that they weren't doing it to amuse each other...neither of them laughed or joked around after the burps; nor did they ever mutter a "sorry" to each other. They were just burping to burp....the kind you do when you're all alone in your car and you don't have to answer to anyone. The kind my mother used to do at almost every family meal, followed by a horrified "OH!"

As they pulled ahead of me in line I saw that their vehicle was decorated with a camo-designed "ribbon" to support our troops; and a bumper sticker that read "keep honkin' -- I'm still reloading"

Ah....the rarified air of my community.

3 comments:

sgt@arms said...

This has been a most delightful read! Perhaps you could turn this into a short story for the New Yorker. They eat this "window into a small town" stuff up. As do I.

Anonymous said...

I thought you had to be in a high school parking lot to find people
poking smot.

Anonymous said...

No, the high school lot, as I'm sure is true in the Slozarks, is reserved strictly for meth.