Thursday, March 22, 2007

Journal

My oldest child brought home her "journal" from school today. It is a notebook she and her classmates have been keeping since mid-November with simple statements about each day in it, and a space to provide a drawing. I'm very proud of the job she did, and we had a lot of fun reading it together. Sample entry from December: "Today I feel Hape. I am goee to Play awsid. Tmoro I will Play is mi rom. (translation: Today I feel happy. I am going to play outside. Tomorrow I will play in my room.)

The entry I liked most is the one attached below. The book is bigger than my scanner, so I couldn't get it all in, but it says (I'm translating for her spelling):
If I were President I would make every body be nice.

Perhaps I should forward this to the current administration. Seems like they need advice.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok, when i was six i couldn't draw a bow in someone's hair. calculus soon!

Anonymous said...

I am really amused that every boy she draws has a flat horizontal line for hair. But yes, she's a great artist. This journal blew me away.....I didn't do stuff like this until I was well into elementary school.

Anonymous said...

Little touches, like the fact that the horizon is not level, but is a hilly landscape, and the fact that she often does many different perspectives, makes me proud, even though she is getting to be a better artist than I am.

Anonymous said...

By the way, based on what I saw taking #2 to the registration, her spelling isn't far from 3-4th grade level either. Damn, what they learn early now is paid for by what they don't. When I was a kid, we couldn't have gotten away with that level of misspelling.

Now, get off my lawn, you young whippersnappers!

Anonymous said...

spelling shmelling.

is that supposed to be a church on the left? looks rather sinister. are art critics in 50 years going to be analyzing this drawing as one of m.m.'s early social critiques? "well into her career as an acclaimed artist, we now look back to the work of an articulate and observate child of western KY- her commentary on american social mores and their infusion into global culture was a brave signal to the art world from a six-year-old, which the movement known as ' directive art', changing politics and society for the better, especially in the wake of that ill-fated ideological project, the so-called 'war on terror'."

Anonymous said...

I STILL can't draw that well! I like the bow on the ponytail! Is that figure M as Pres? Maybe that isn't a church but the U.S. capital's "right wing"...

sgt@arms said...

Right wing? He he he.
Considering the size and hair color of the smaller figures, is it possible the one with the fancy bow is you, Aunty K?

Anonymous said...

no...the girl with the bow is MG. The two smaller figures are actually in the distance (depth of field...how smart IS this kid!!) happily running into the building! I asked her if it was Packer and someone else and she said no, just kids.