Saturday, March 31, 2007

knees

In yet another vignette on my community I have to share with you an overheard conversation in the parking lot of a store this week. I wasn't trying to eavesdrop, I was unable to avoid hearing the conversation as it was said quite loudly as if everyone was meant to hear it.

Two women, both middle-aged and overweight, got out of a car next to mine and slowly started walking in. One of them was walking with great difficulty, and she explained to her companion, who apparently had been in the car with her but was just now hearing this news, that her doctor had told her, "my knees are just give out." She went on to loudly tell her friend more details with, "you know how your kneecap is supposed to stay put when you stand on one foot? Well mine just goes in all directions." She went on to stop in the middle of the parking lot and demonstrate this amazing feat for her friend, who seemed sympathetic, but clearly had no advice to offer, as she remained mute.

For myself, I've actually tried to see if my own kneecap will "go in all directions." I haven't had any luck with it, thankfully, so I guess I can't classify it as "all give out."

4 comments:

MJ said...

Were these ladies that old? I never thought that middle aged women were to the point of their knees going bad. The demostrating of the bad knee - I guess - would make her claim of a bad knee more credible. Don't we all think things are more credible when they are demonstrated - Ron Popeil comes to mind (I probably didn't spell that right). Anything he demonstrates is the best thing on earth - I don't know why that theory wouldn't apply to knees as well.

Anonymous said...

Well those of us with old sports injuries can tell you a wonky knee cap can be a real pain. Perhaps these ladies sustained damage to their physique by hitting the eight grade grid-iron too hard?
TG

Anonymous said...

In keeping with the subject of pain,a good friend of mine (66 years old ) hurt her back (it just "give out") while cleaning her uncle's bathroom (which she said took her 5 hours and is another story for another day)So... she was to get several days of bedrest. Unfortunately, her husband had some health issues as well and was resting in bed. Terry, my friend, has a cat appropriately named "Princess" of which is very demanding! She insist on having her food put out at exactly the same time in the same place every morning. I recieved an e-mail this morning that the cat was in the bed, in her face, screaming and meowing for her breakfast. Terry had just had enough of the "cat-tricks" and decided to try and get up to feed her. She made it to the kitchen and, not being able to bend over, put the food on the counter. Princess would have nothing to do with that. She then put it on the dining room table, again, the cat was not happy and kept on bugging her. So Terry sat on a dining room chair, started to slide down the chair to the floor (on purpose), laying flat on the floor, managed to get the cat's dish with her toes and foot to her hand and put it on the floor in the proper place for Princess! She gets the gold star for being a fellow feline lover and for being really, shall we say, nuts!! In her words, she was happy to finally get the little "witch" Princess fed. She really does love this cat! Gizzo in Pitt.

Anonymous said...

That wins the prize for craziest thing I've heard all day....maybe all week!

What a funny story! Nothing like a high-maintenance cat. Maybe instead of Princess the cat's name should be Paris or Britney.