Saturday, June 2, 2007

Sgt. Pepper, Part 2

The Reenactor came home today with a gift for me...a CD of the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper album. He had never heard it as one album...just heard some of the songs on it, and I probably haven't listened to it in one continuous play for a zillion years either. We played it tonight, and wow...I didn't realize that the words to the songs have apparently embedded themselves in my DNA somehow, although I can't remember what I watched on tv last night.

The best part of having the CD playing while we were eating dinner was Thing 1 and Thing 2's reactions. They just HAD to get up and dance as soon as they were done eating. Thing 1 did some quite remarkably good, and "music appropriate" interpretative dance to songs like "When I'm 64"; while Thing 2 pretty much just stood on a stepstool like a dancer from "Laugh In" and wiggled around. If you've never heard the album there is a LOT of orchestral elements to it...French horns, clarinet solos, etc. At one point Thing 2 grabbed the last remaining crescent roll off the table and turned it into a faux trumpet to "play" along with the music. Considering he was wearing his Cars jammies, and Thing 1 had on a Mickie Mouse nightgown with a big pink bow in her hair, the effect was quite charming.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just discovered that someone has taken the record out of the album cover of Sgt. Pepper!!! I'm so angry about that. Oh well, maybe I will just go buy a copy of it on CD like you did. We, by the way are going to watch Al Gore's movie tonight. Better late than never.

Anonymous said...

It warms my heart to hear such good child raising
skills.

But let's hold off on Dark Side of the Moon till their teens.

TG

Anonymous said...

It warms my heart to hear such good child raising
skills.

But let's hold off on Dark Side of the Moon till their teens.

TG

Anonymous said...

There is a subtle point in the movie Cars where the main car-acter (jeez, I crack myself up) has to make a personal apperance with his sponsor, Rusteeze medicated bumper ointment. The owners are Click and Clack from Car Talk. Anyway, there are all these old rusty cars in the tent, and just as the lights are cut and the spot falls on our hero, you can hear one of the cars, in a tiny voice, yell, "Freebird!"

About a month ago, after Thing 1 and Thing 2 had just watched the movie, I was driving them somewhere in the truck when they started quoting this scene verbatum (quite an ear on them for dialogue). I forget what they said when they got to that line, but it was nowhere close to Freebird. I did what any good Father would do. I dug through my CD's and found my copy, explained why the line was funny, played the song for them, and taught them to yell Freebird.

What? Like you wouldn't.

Anonymous said...

But we don't give them lighters to hold up in the air!

Anonymous said...

When can Jenny and I get #2 a drum kit?

TG

Nick said...

I think it is only responsible parenting to teach Thing 1 and Thing 2 the songs needed to survive life as a well connected citizen. If you teach them early, they will be the cool kids when they get to high school.

Freebird
Stairway to Heaven (Dark Side of the Moon & Wizard of Oz)
Anything from SGT. Peppers
Journey
Anything Steely Dan
Allman Bros.
AC/DC (the cocaine years)

Anonymous said...

I strike Journey. Sorry that will have no meaning for kidz in the 21st century.

Sorry children of the 80's

TG

Anonymous said...

Fat Bottomed Girls.

By the Dashboard Lights (whatever the real name is)

And my sweeties favorite, American Pie. The girls love it and with those tender southern accents . . . you can't help but smile. Of course The Bug wants to try some rye.

Happy my ISP is back up, finally!!!!