Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Yes, we did

I had the honor of getting to watch the inauguration with some of my dear friends this morning, and all I can say is "wow." History is made.

Here's my ongoing list of surreal moments from the day:

1) That the Supreme Court Chief Justice screwed up the words to the oath of office. Helluva job, there Roberts.

2) Aretha Franklin's hat. Somewhere, Eleanor Roosevelt or Queen Elizabeth are missing a chapeau.

3) The benediction closing lines of ...Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get back, when brown can stick around -- (laughter) -- when yellow will be mellow -- (laughter) -- when the red man can get ahead, man -- (laughter) -- and when white will embrace what is right.

Let all those who do justice and love mercy say amen.


4) Cheney in a wheelchair. The resemblance to mean Mr. Potter in "It's a Wonderful Life" was extra surreal.

5) The amazing view of the crowds who braved subzero weather to stretch out of sight to be witness to this.

6) Senators Byrd and Kennedy collapsing at the lunch afterwards. We can't lose any more Democrats in the Senate folks!!! We need a majority!

7) The camera shots of Bill Clinton checking out Michelle, and later the Bush twins. He had dirty thoughts in his mind...all you had to do was look at the expression on his face.

8) Malia taking her own snapshots of the occasion. Like the concert on Sunday at the Lincoln Memorial, this morning she had out her little digital camera and was recording the moment for herself. I would love it if someone would publish her "view" of the events. She even asked Joe Biden to take a photo for her at one point.

9) Obama's address...not surreal, but incredible. Even though I heard it this morning, I just went online to read it, and it is even more powerful the second time.

10) That the companies advertising on CNN today are all employing a theme of change and hopefulness. Pepsi has apparently hijacked the Obama campaign logo to be the new Pepsi logo, and their commercials are blatant in their message of change, and the words Yes We Can.

That's it for now....I'm sure I'll add more later. Meanwhile, share your inaugural moments with me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, it was truly a moment in history that will stay with me for a very long time. I was happy to hear that not one arrest was made and no emergency calls were made. That's is absolutely unbelieveable in a crowd of millions.

The church prayer meeting was just beautiful this morning.

I don't know if I can come up with anything that wasn't just perfect, with exception of Byrd and Kennedy' problems, thatI would have changed. I was totally "WOWED" by the whole thing and inspired to do more for the country on a local bases. We have been riding along for years now blindfolded to the problems of the country. I only hope this will get people moving again. It got my attention! AuntLiz