Thursday, January 8, 2009

just another reason to rant

I have noticed an interesting trend in the last couple of weeks: drive-through conveniences are being geared toward people driving large SUVs. My bank has a new facility drive-through lane that has two heights for the box to come that you place your checks or whatever into. The top height is clearly convenient if you are in a full size truck or SUV. The lower height is for regular passenger cars. The problem is, if you pull up after someone who was in a larger vehicle the box has been left at the "upper" position, and I haven't found a way to get it to lower to the passenger car position. If I press the only button available other than "call" it goes to the teller. So to get the box I have to unbuckle, open the door, and half climb out of my car to reach it.

And today I was mailing some letters at a mid-town post office drive-up box, which has been replaced in the last year or so from the two "local" and "other" mailboxes into one large box. Again, I had to put my car in park, unbuckle, get out and mail the letters because the friggin' opening is set a good two feet above my reach.

I understand in the big picture this is truly a minor inconvenience. BUT, I'm irritated that apparently SUVs at one point became so popular in our culture that institutions like banks and the Post Office decided to cater specifically to those drivers.

Has anyone else noticed another place where things have been placed higher?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should try it from a very low Colorra. I almost always have to open the door to use the ATM. The Prius is better however. A little higher. Some of the fast food places have the same high window. Things could be worse I guess. I make due. They should make them accessable to all types of cars though. Post office is a problem as well because people are normally waiting behind you and you are trying to take off your seat belt, open the door, etc. People in Pittsburgh don't like to wait! Lots of honking going on. Auntie Liz