Sunday, January 4, 2009

Gettin' over my own stupid self

Hey Campers, it's a new year, and I'm 50! Wow! I don't feel a week over 49!

My last post was a practice in wallowing in my own holiday blues. I apologize for how selfishly worded it was. I still maintain that there are too many things standing in the way of Christmas to actually enjoy Christmas, and we all need to return to a simpler holiday that is shorter in duration (not the month-long marathon starting at Thanksgiving) yet more meaningful in quality. It is interesting that a comment from my niece 'Shley mentioned the 12 days of Christmas and how we ought to start having fun on the 25th and just enjoy the next two weeks. That was the same message our minister had at the Christmas Eve service and I think it is a great idea. I have definitely had a better time after Christmas than before.

With one notable exception.

After three weeks of on-again, off-again tummy ache, complete with a spectacular case of sickness into a plastic shopping bag somewhere near Rogersville, Missouri the day after Christmas, we took T2 to the doc last Wed. just to rule out something bigger than garden variety stomach bug. Turns out that he had an inflamed appendix, and while it wasn't serious, or even close to it, a CT scan and review by two radiologists and a surgeon determined that he was going to need it taken out. He is home now, and other than some tenderness that causes him to walk around stooped like a little old man, he seems on the mend.

So since I wasn't in the mood to be grateful to anyone, or for anything before Christmas, this is my newly revised view of the world.

First, to Mariann who magically appeared in the ER just as the doc was recommending to me that T2 have immediate surgery, and helped me with him while I tried to tell the admitting folks all his pertinent details. You can't imagine who grateful I was just for her calm presence while I was trying to sort everything out and keep him from being too upset. She is a blessing to our family, and to our church family for her generous spirit and constant kindness and faith.

Second, to our friend John for giving The Reenactor a ride to the hospital that was described to me as "efficient" but nonetheless got him there before T2 was actually wheeled into the operating room. If any of you know how to bypass having an extra Volvo key made without having to go to an actual Volvo dealership, please let me know. We discovered that day that just one key on my keyring isn't an option any more.

Third, to our friends Hannah and Julie who both showed up in the waiting room while T2 was in the operating room just to keep us company and to help keep T1 distracted. T1 was very worried about her little brother, and all of you helped keep her attitude positive. Special thanks also to Julie for the delicious Taco Soup she delivered to our house the night T2 got home from the hospital. The Reenactor has declared her a Domestic Goddess for that crock full of soup.

Next, to our friend Erin who consulted with us multiple times via cell phone while on her own vacation about T2's condition, and gave us comfort and information. I'm sorry you were having to talk loudly about spastic colons and inflamed appendix in public places, but your advice was unbelievably helpful.

And finally, to all the docs, nurses, and OR people who took care of my sick and very, very scared little boy. I don't know your names, but I'm grateful that you were so kind to him.

Next up...my own take on turning 50. It's a real page-turner!

1 comment:

MJ said...

I am glad that he is feeling better. I am sorry that we couldn't be there for you. Hugs from Fl.

Happy belated birthday to you and T2.

Hugs!!!!