Monday, January 12, 2009

is this the way she sees us?



For the last few days T1 has been getting a lot of--well lets say "unhappy" --feedback from The Reenactor and me. Part of it has stemmed from our trying to get her to take responsibility for the unbelievable amount of stuff she has in her room, and making choices to get rid of a huge chunk of it. She's sentimental and reluctant to part with a lot of things, and that means her room is overflowing with dozens of stuffed animals, piles of parts to horse and doll sets, and books, journals, and now CDs. In the past the only way I could deep-clean her room was if she went to visit her grandparents for a couple of days, during which time I would go in with trash bags and boxes to put stuff to donate, and I always got rid of a LOT of stuff, none of which she reported missing when she returned. But she's old enough now to do this herself, and at times is remarkably good about sorting and choosing what to keep and what to get rid of. But at times it is like watching molasses pour in January to get her to go through just one box of mismatched toys.

Anyway...last night as I was working in her room with her I noticed that her dollhouse had the dolls set up in groupings in the different rooms. At the front of the kitchen she had this group...a Mom and Dad doll (no comment on the fact that the Mom is actually labeled as a "grandmother" on the package and is sporting gray hair!) clearly having a conversation with their pony-tailed daughter. I started laughing when I saw it, but the more I looked at it, the more I wondered if that is how she feels right now...Mom and Dad standing on either side of her, hands on hips in frustration.

If you playing with this group of dolls right now, what would your dialog be for them?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I haven't given the kids copies of Shel Silverstein's book, "At the End of the Sidewalk" let me know immediately. There is a poem called "Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout Would Not take the Garbage Out" that might be a humorous dialog for the parent dolls to get some action... Even if it doesn't work in this case, the whole book is comic relief for uptight feelings about the situation. Auntie A

Anonymous said...

"It's all Betsy McCall's fault!!!She messed up my room!!Aunty L

Anonymous said...

ha! While it's hard to interpret the drama of a dollhouse unless you're the creator of said drama, I agree that the positioning of the figures and permanent hands-on-hip bend to the arms is suggestive of a youngster feeling misunderstood by the great and powerful adults. At least your doll is wearing a leotard for the discussion.

Anonymous said...

I just noticed the 3rd female in the picture. Could it be Ed, Alice, Liz and Kathy are having a family pow-wow to garner methods remembered from the grandparents with "elders" Alice is sitting at the final judgment table Ha! Where is Dr. Phil????