Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Too Much

I am going to have to take a break from news for a week to see if I can calm down. I was moved to tears so many times last week listening to the inspiring speeches given in Denver, and within 24 hours of the high of hearing Obama's historic nomination acceptance speech I was once again feeling desperate and scared, angry and betrayed by news from the GOP. First, the appalling VP choice; then the president taking the opportunity of a hurricane in the Gulf to again make his case for additional oil drilling there.

Wait a minute, if the idea is that a Gulf coast hurricane can seriously jeopardize oil production there, WHY are we looking to add extra platforms right in harm's way? This man is interested in NOTHING but oil. Every action he has taken in the White House has been tied in some way to oil. I have taken to calling oil the root of all evil in the world...because whatever is wrong right now you can tie it directly to either the production of, the use of, the pollution from, or the craving for, oil.

And then, this evening as Ms. Sarah-I-Don't-Believe-Global-Warming-Is-Manmade is giving her speech, I see a news ticker that a huge chunk of an ice shelf has broken off, further alarming scientists as to how rapidly the oceans are warming.

If you do nothing else when you go to vote this fall think about what you are doing for your children by the choice you make. Is their future REALLY better now than it was before Bush took office? Do you truly think that John and Sarah are going to make it all better? Really?

So meanwhile I'm going to self-impose No News on myself for a week. I need to see if cutting myself off from the 24-hour news cycle cold turkey can improve my outlook.

4 comments:

shley said...

good idea- every time I see the headlines about the GOP I want to throw something, so better to save my water glass (or, worse, my cat!) and remain calm. perhaps I'll sign up to volunteer for obama this week.

No Lettuce for Me said...

k-
i dont think i ever realized how much we have in common. while i have been watching these outlandish speeches this week from the RNC, i just remember that you are thinking the same thing and the hope for a change that is still out there that you help me to continue believing in. you say what i want to say in a classy-look up to way and i applaud you! although im all the way away in Texas at school {dont hold it against me that im going to school out here:)}, i cant wait to read this thing!

Auntie K said...

Dear Lettuce...I certainly won't hold it against you that you are in the Lone Star state for college...just remember to escape to better climates (political climates) when you graduate!

Glad to know you're part of the virtual campfire!

MJ said...

Kathy,
I agree. If this were Obama's kids then the message would be complete different. The spin that teen pregnancy makes the republican party "normal" is upsetting. I know it is a personal issue, but there are bigger things to consider if this person is running for VP. You are speaking what many are feeling. Don't stress out - enjoy your break from the news, you probably won't miss much.

M