Saturday, September 6, 2008

Speaking of elitist snobs

Just when I think I'm at the end of a nice, relaxing day with my family, I encounter one of these people...you'll know who I'm talking about.

I was getting some gas at a station near the interstate, and just as I was swiping my credit card at the pump, in drives a 30-something white man in a souped up Lincoln Continental (with the rims and flashy chrome all over it) and he is blasting, BLASTING some 80s hair band from his seriously loud speakers and doing one of those ultra-slow "hey look at how cool I am" drives into the parking lot of the convenience store.

Well, first of all buddy, if you're trying to impress anyone in a convenience store parking lot, you really are desperate....but I digress.

He pulls into a parking spot, and gets out....all decked out in his baggy cargo shorts, t-shirt and blue-tooth hands-free phone prominently affixed to his ear. And I swear (remember, he's nearing middle age and WHITE) he does the boppity-bop walk you see young rappers do as they walk through a suburban mall or whatever as he goes into the store, chattin' away to someone (or no one?) on his high-tech earring.

And here's the part that is so stupid to me...clearly I'm too old to "get" this... He leaves the car running, stereo blasting (hair band, remember?) bass thumpin' all pimped out car with the windows down and NO ONE IS IN THERE. He goes in to get his pack of Bud or smokes or whatever it was he was craving in all his ghetto-wannabe glory.

Weird.

And comical.

And sad.

But then, I'm an Elitist.

No comments: