Saturday, March 29, 2008

Is the Tooth Fairy male or female?

This is the question that has been running 'round our house this weekend. T2 lost his first tooth today...just "popped" out. Of course he had been wigging it for two weeks now...back and forth, and side to side. I planned ahead, and had purchased for him a pillow with a tiny pocket to put the tooth into, and so he is all set now for the Tooth Fairy.

Two points to this blog. One, why are all tooth pillows or boxes geared toward infants, with ducks, chicks, baby bunnies or whatever? And they are overwhelmingly "girlie" in style. Kids don't lose teeth when they are infants, they lose them when they are in kindergarten and first grade! I did manage to find a pillow with a monkey on it, and that suited T2 just fine, but someone needs to get in the business of making age-appropriate tooth fairy pillows.

Second...IS the tooth fairy male or female? T1 and T2 have been debating this all day. Are there two tooth fairies....one for each gender? Can our cat "get" the tooth fairy if we leave her loose in the house? What if you lose a tooth on Christmas Eve and the tooth fairy and Santa run into each other in your house? Then what?

All questions I have been asked today.

For the record...T2 will be getting a crisp $5 for his first tooth. I told him that I think there is only one tooth fairy, and he/she is equally inclined toward rewarding both boys and girls. And I said that Santa already is friends with the TF, and therefore, the whole Christmas Eve issue isn't a problem.

Oh, and the cat is confined to the garage tonight.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! $5!!! I never got more than a dime, and if memory serves, only for the 1st tooth!! I think there are tooth fairIES! Too many kids in the world for just one. Maybe they are stationed at the North Pole too...perhaps they recycle the teeth into toys up there...which brings to mind that at the rate the north pole is melting, what will happen to Santa Land??? Will we get a snapshot of the new gap T2 has???

Auntie K said...

Of course....photos will be sent. The gap isn't as gap-ish as T1's have been....he already had a tooth coming in behind the old one that pushed it out, and it is definitely visible.

shley said...

the economy is in crisis! inflation!! I think I only got a quarter for my tooth, and this only happened once- the "tooth fairy" forgot about subsequent teeth.

congrats to T2, and thanks for the business idea! as a 30-year-old still in possession of a baby tooth (in my mouth) I'll think about the need for tooth fairy pillows for ages 5 to 35! what about for old timers who get all their teeth replaced with shiny dentures, do they leave a big pile under their pillow?

Auntie K said...

You know...I'm getting a lot of feedback about how much the tooth fairy left T2. Yes, I was always feeling quite wealthy to get a quarter in my day, but gas was just $.27 a gallon then too. Not that T2 drives a car, but still...you can't get much for a quarter these days.

Listen.....I'm having a lot of fun with the whole TF thing...."pixie dust" (aka glitter) is left scattered around the room, occasional signs of TF entry is in evidence.

They are only young enough to "believe" now....I'm milking it for all its worth.

Shley...I had no idea you still had a baby tooth!

Anonymous said...

Did you not see Santa Claus 2?

shley said...

$5 seems appropriate, compared to the $3.99 per gallon rate for diesel here in Denver- it's just funny to think about it in comparison to what we got. I figure that, with inflation, I'm due at least 20 bucks if my baby tooth ever falls out, maybe more!

I like the flying monkey pillow.

Auntie K said...

anonymous....email ne and ID yourself!