Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The grim smile

Is there a rulebook somewhere that says that when a well-known man (usually a politician) is caught doing the naughty with someone other than his wife (male, or female!) it is required that his wife stand beside him when he announces publicly that he's been a "bad, naughty boy"*?

I for one am sad that the poor wife is paraded in front of the cameras and forced to slap on that clearly artificial smile (or appropriately stern, and hurt grimace) just so we are all assured that she will "stand by her man." If ever there is a time the man should have to face those cameras alone--without the visible support of the very woman he most hurt--this is it.


________________________________
*Sen. Larry Craig criticising Bill Clinton in 1999. "I will tell you that the Senate certainly can bring about a censure reslution and it's a slap on the wrist. It's a, 'Bad boy, Bill Clinton. You're a naughty boy.' The American people already know that Bill Clinton is a bad boy, a naughty boy."

2 comments:

shley said...

I agree, I don't see the logic in standing by your cheating man, and being so public about it. What happened to dumping the guy that cheated on you? Do the wives mean to make some symbolic gesture that they were be keeping a better eye on their husbands by watching him make the press conference? It's ridiculous, in my opinion. I agree that I'd make him stand up there by himself, cause he's the one that got himself into the mess, right?

It brings back to mind the well-documented infidelity in the White House a few years ago. I always wondered why Hillary didn't divorce Bill over that incident and can only conclude that it was a choice of power over self-respect, that she felt more empowered as a politician with Bill in proximity than with him chastised as a habitual womanizer. I could be completely wrong- she could have undying love for him that forgives everything, or she might not feel that an "encounter" with an intern is worthy of disapproval. clearly standing alone wasn't an option for her, regardless of the motivation. Does anyone know if she mentions it (or if her ghostwriter mentions it) in her autobiography? Or is the new feminism all about being so above infidelity as to ignore it all together...

MJ said...

I don't understand that. I would say "see ya" and it will hurt me just as bad without me standing there....