Saturday, May 5, 2007

The shrine



















All right Kate's Campers...I'm accepting your most creative name for this lovely shrine to ...um....ceramic things bought at flea markets? I pass by this every day on my way to take Thing 1 to school, and it has always amused me. Bunny on the left holds a sign saying "don't even think of eating the flowers" (there are no flowers anywhere near this thing); and bunny on the right's sign says "Critters welcome." Most of the other things are teddy bears, except for the elderly couple looking at a book in the background, and there is a little boy doing something in there...and the rocks around it are mixed in with sea shells.

What is an appropriate title for this?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, the roller coaster of emotions that such a display produces! first: hm, that's pretty stupid. second: heheeh. then: oh, that's sad, what a lonely person must live there. then back to: what a retarded yard decoration- they can't even get the bricks straight. then: god, what if they ARE retarded dwellers within, what if this is a dear expression of the joys in their life?

maybe a kid made it.

Anonymous said...

Well, it reminds me of "design on a dime" but truly, I think it could be called the "I hope it's insured" shrine. or "I-HIIS" Wouldn't want one of those KY storms to disturb the peace, tranquility, thought provoking,loving, and butt dumb looking thing to blow away!

Anonymous said...

After re-thinking....maybe some little kid did design it as shley said. Thinking back on my childhood, I just may have done something simular. Just not in public view.

Anonymous said...

Hey that's my house:(

sgt@arms said...

I, for one, think The Grotto of ____ (fill in the street name) is very sweet. Somebody loves their little imaginary polyresin friends... unless, that is, this is a quiet cry for help from an elderly couple barricaded in their home by bears and giant bunnies.

Anonymous said...

I don't think this is any cry for help (other than that the homeowner has an attraction for stuff found at garage sales); nor is it domain of a disturbed or lonely person (at least I don't think so, based on the rest of the property). There are little statuettes all over the place at this home. There are a line of eagles in various stages of flight across the front porch, right behind the recliner (yes, the recliner on the porch); there are other "critters" posed together in other groupings around the yard.

This actually is from a driving-by standpoint, a neatly kept home. The homeowners just like garden statues!

I think I need a gnome myself!

sgt@arms said...

Gnomenclature

sgt@arms said...

PS be careful what you wish fur.

Nick said...

My title is:

What the hell?