Saturday, May 19, 2007

78 years

That is the combined years of marriage celebrated tomorrow in my family.

65 years ago this week my father called my mother long distance from Ft. Sill, Oklahoma and asked her if it would work out for her to marry him as he passed through her town in Missouri in a few days on his way to Ft. Knox, Kentucky to his new post as a Lieutenant in the U.S. Army. Turns out it was the same day my mother was scheduled to graduate from college, so they just made a day of it...a wedding, commencement exercises, then a big family breakfast in their hometown as they made their way east on Route 66. The wedding was planned in just two or three days, and my mother had to celebrate this most important day of her life without her parents, as they lived in California and couldn't make the trip. It must have been the one small shadow on a day that I know she remembered so fondly all her life.

My parents knew each nearly their entire lives. They grew up just miles from each other, and attended the same small high school. But it wasn't until Dad was a college senior that he and Mom finally started dating, and the rest, they say, is history. Since Mom's passing last year I have been transcribing letters they wrote to each other for years as they dated, and after they married and he was sent overseas to fight in World War II. It is clear that they were passionate about each other from very early in their relationship...a passion that was evident until they were both very ill and shared a room in a nursing home together.

It was 12 years ago that I married The Reenactor, and I thank him for a dozen wonderful years of fun, travel, friendship, great days, and awful days, and the blessings of our children. I was thrilled to walk down that church aisle to him on that day, and would do it again any day that he asked. I feel darn lucky to be his bride.

And it was just one year ago that we witnessed the marriage of my niece and That Guy. It was really one of the best weddings I have ever attended, because it was full of joy, laughter, music, friendship, and so much love. I hope they are having a splendid first anniversary...I love you both!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nicely written!! It's so great that Howard and Marion set such a wonderful example for all of us to follow. They were indead passionate for each other. And I might chime in and say that I'm another "passionate for my spouse Fillmer". Gosh, only if all the world could find that passion! What a beautiful thing! Gizzmo

sgt@arms said...

Thanks for such a sweet post. Evidence that Niece and That Guy thoroughly enjoyed their anniversary: no time spent on our favorite blogs... unless, that is, Gizzmo is the secret identity of my husband. Is that you, sweetie?
Happy Anniversary to you in Paducah!

Anonymous said...

Gizzmo is your Pittsburgh auntie

MJ said...

Happy Anniversary Everyone!!!