Sunday, February 10, 2008

electile disfunction

I'm feeling entirely impotent in my ability to be part of the electoral process. I sit week by week watching the caucuses and primaries whiz by, voters in states all around me and all over the country deciding before I ever get a chance to vote who the nominees for the two major parties will be. The Commonwealth doesn't participate in this part of the process until May 20, which will no doubt by then be Ho-Hum Tuesday, rather than Super Duper Fat Tuesday, and will be deemed less important than whatever highjinks Brit is up to on that particular day.

When did the American voter become such a small part of this process? When did someone decided that people in Iowa and New Hampshire are more responsible voters than the rest of us, and they get to vote first?

I'm already steamed that my first choice has dropped out already because of lack of funds, which is due in part to the lack of coverage on the major networks. I don't want Chris Matthews and Wolf Blitzer to decide who the next president will be. Is this too much to ask?

4 comments:

sgt@arms said...

I, for one, care about Kentucky.
Obama '08.

Anonymous said...

Mama's for 'Bama!

Anonymous said...

Since I'm working with the Progressive Democrats here in Clinton County OH, I will tell the candidates here what your comment is, as it seems valid to me. A separate comment--I'm not sure which are most effective, caucuses or primaries. Primaries, to me, seem most "civilized", but don't know if it would garner more participants...

Anonymous said...

caucusing is fun!! voting in public amid all the disorganized chaos that seems to define caucuses gives it all an all-american revolutionary feeling that i've never felt while voting in a booth. i wish i could share the caucus energy we had in colorado with the late-voting kentuckians... i know how you feel about not feeling heard. even the idea of superdelegates coming into this makes me feel sleighted, as does the idea of new york, texas, and california having the weight to choose the candidate. errrrrg! ok, got riled up there, but is it too much to ask for my voice to be heard just once in this decade?