Wednesday, December 5, 2007

How depressing

I live in one of the top three most depressed states in the US. A recenty survey identified my Commonwealth as one of the top three, lagging only behind Utah. Turns out because there is a general lack of funding for mental health care here, so we are suffering from an abundance of untreated depressed people.

This doesn't surprise me.

The study went on to note that the states with the largest counts of people identifying themselves as "depressed" were also the least educated states.

I'm not knocking the idea that there are depressed people out there, I'm knocking the fact that as a society, particulary in the Commonwealth apparently, depression isn't recognized as a health issue and funded accordingly for lower income people.

On the bright side, we do have more smokers than most other states, as well as a higher level of obesity.

Pick me up a bucket of chicken and a pack of smokes on the way home, Buford, I'm feeling blue today.

3 comments:

Nick said...

A random thought I had the other day...What is the deal with Light Cigarettes? I mean smoking them is still going to give you cancer and make your insides completely rot out. So if your content to spend your money to fund this kind of end result then why don't you smoke the real ones?

So why are you buying Virgina Slims when you could be smoking Marlboro Red's?

Anonymous said...

Marketing, my man, marketing.

It makes you FEEL good (and sexy, young and wealthy) to smoke the "lite" versions.

NP said...

I hear 'ya sista

Unfortunately the only way Alabama is the top of a list is if it is alphabetical.