Monday, December 31, 2007

2007 in the rearview mirror

Here's my top ten list of things that happened this year:

1) The Reenactor got a different job at his company. This means after nearly 12 years of marriage I don't have to look forward to him working shift hours on nearly every holiday weekend, being called in because something broke, then not coming home except to sleep for two weeks, and his general angst and unhappiness in his former job. He is now stictly an administrative office geek, and we all saw a difference in him immediately.

2) T2 started kindergarten. In spite of the fact that I still hate to have him and T1 gone from the house so much, it is a new day for me to have time during the day to get some things done.

3) Our vacation to Disney. Okay, I complained long and loud about it in earlier posts, and I still think the whole thing is vastly overrated, but the kids did have fun, and it was a joy as a parent to watch them experience it.

4) My trip to NOLA to help with Katrina relief. Even though it makes me angry to my core that so many people are still without adequate shelter and assistance repairing their homes three years after the fact, it was both educational and rewarding to work with such good people who are actually living there and living this nightmare on a day-to-day business. I was so honored to meet Rev. Vance and Fred from C of C. They have a special box of admiration all wrapped up under my tree.

5) Getting the bathroom (s) and kitchen remodeled. Even though our house has been been a complete mess for most of the year, we are getting it together and cleaned up now, and we are happy with the results. Now we're going to sell it!

6) Finding out that I really have good friends as I struggled through some mystery illness/condition for several months last spring. I still don't know exactly what happened to me, but I suspect it was a combination of a too-intense antibiotic mixed with some other meds I was taking at the time to relieve a severe ear infection; mixed up with the stress of The Reenactor's workload (at the time) and many other things. Whatever it was, it was a nightmare. My friends stood by me, and were so supportive. Thanks to you all.

7) Realizing I can say no. And that is my theme for 2008....saying "no."

8) Discovering even more wonderful state parks in So. Ill. Beautiful trails, close to home, all good!

9) My brother moving back to MO. I cried when he called to tell me, and now that we got to spend part of both Thanksgiving and Christmas at his excellent new home, I realized just how much I needed to have more family living in the Ozarks. Sisters, take a hint! We need to all live closer together!

10) T1, T2 and The Reenactor. I hit the jackpot with all of you.

No comments: