Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Shley be 30

Cheers to my niece 'shley who is turning 30!

I was looking for a photo I have somewhere here in the house of her as an adorable five-year-old, but can't find it at the moment.

She is still adorable, and in recent years has educated me in the ways of organic and sustainable farming; shared political angst with me via email; and has gone on travels and adventures that I will have to live vicariously through.

But my favorite 'shley memory is that we shared a trip to Philmont together 14 years ago (yes, girl, 14!). I had a great time in her company there, and have many, many great memories of singing Billy Joel and Simon and Garfunkel songs while we hiked, dodging really fierce lightning storms, and eating really terrible food, and the last morning we were on the trail, sitting on the Tooth and watching the sun rise over New Mexico.

30 is a dawdle, Shley. I hope you find grand new ways to hike your path in this world. I will raise a pint of Fat Tire in your honor tonight.

Love ya,
Auntie K

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cheers, mate!

apparently i've become even worse at checking email and favorite internet locations in my thirties.... oh, that old age'll getcha!