Thursday, July 26, 2007

back to my original angst

I saw a story in the major news sources last week that wm is dropping prices on thousands of their products to draw consumers back into their stores because they have had the lowest same-store sales gains in their history this year. I can't take ALL the credit for that, but I'm sure my significant drop in purchases there made at least a small blip at our local store. The chain says that their customers are concerned about gas prices so they aren't buying as much. That might be true, but I also think that there are way more people like me who have just had their fill of wm's destructive business practices.

Sadly, we've probably made more purchases at that store in the last month than in this entire calendar year. The majority of shopping trips I've made there have simply been out of convenience. There is no other grocery store in that particular part of town (except an off-brand retailer) and if I'm in that area running other errands and need to pick up bread or milk, it is just too easy to go there rather than drive four or five miles in a different direction.

Since this was the original intent of this blog I will aspire to improve my own habits.

And in other news...

a woman in Jersey reported that her pool...a pool similar to the one we fondly refer to as our "hillbilly pool"...was stolen WITH the water in it. Hogwash. These pools are HEAVY when they are full of water. The Reenactor calculated at one point how much our own pool weighed filled with water, and it simply isn't possible for someone to have taken it without emptying it first. Not to mention the fact that if you so much as lean on the side (with intent) you dump all the water out in a tsunami of chlorinated water...I've witnessed this very event in years past. A person, or extensive group of persons, could NOT steal a full pool.

Beach time....chat amongst yourselves for a few days!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The story says that the pool was stolen between 0100 and 0500, and there wasn't so much as a puddle to indicate the pool was there. I can buy into the idea that a submersible pump could be used, hosed to a sewer, to remove the majority of the water, but from experience, you cannot remove all the water with one. There is no low point to drain the water into. Besides, the 3000 gallon pool we have (25,000 lbs of water) is not easy to move empty, much less with a heel of water remaining.

I told SWMBO that the owner of my favorite news website, FARK, recently wrote a book as to how the news organizations are using stories like this to pad out the constant demand for stories that can vaguely be called news.

Beach? Who said anything about a beach? I'm in.