Friday, September 4, 2009

What I wrote the superintendent

I just wanted to send you an email to let you know I appreciate that you are not canceling the President's address to schoolchildren next Tuesday. My biggest concern when I began hearing that some schools, and school districts around the country were "boycotting" the speech was that we are setting dangerous precedent by implying that children should not be allowed to listen to the President of the United States speak to them directly about the importance of education because of the wild fears by some parents that their children might hear a "political" message. Indeed it is these parents who are themselves attaching a political agenda to this address.

And, it is those same parents who are jeopardizing their children's education by implying that if you disagree with someone's views you should not listen to them. And it is especially disturbing that parents are allowing their children to believe that the office of the President should be so disrespected. This is where I feel it becomes a bad precedent to establish...if this President is not allowed to address schoolchildren in a nationwide address—which both Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush have done in the past—then no President (regardless of political affiliation) in the future should be allowed to address schoolchildren. Similarly, if I disagree with the politics of a Kentucky elected official (senator or representative) and they schedule a visit to my children's school, do I have the right to ask that my children not attend that event? This is where it can quickly become complicated, and an unnecessary obstruction to our children's education.

The President plans to speak to the children about ways they can achieve through education...a topic specific to the work they do at school. He has spoken on this topic many times, and has often emphasized how important it is for children to read, and how important it is for parents to take time to read with children. I am really saddened that some parents in this county are so threatened by the President's political views that they are not allowing their children to listen to the leader of their country encourage them to take advantage of the opportunities they have to learn at their schools.

My children will hear this address...and it is very important to me that they do hear it at school. I will be discussing what the President says in his address that evening with them, and I hope that other parents will do the same. Meanwhile, I just wanted you to know--because I'm sure you are getting many calls and emails to the opposite opinion today -- that I am in full support of this Presidential address being aired at the school on Tuesday.

No comments: