Friday, April 20, 2007

true confessions, and a great idea

I must fess up here that I've actually darkened Wally World's artificially bright stores recently. Once was in St. Louis, while my son was ill and I was desperate to find a few supplies....clean pjs (you can imagine how his others were); some crackers, ginger ale, and something to entertain me and his sister. WM was the closest, most convenient store where I could find all those things in one stop (not a Target to be found where I was, darnit!). More recently I went in the one locally to get milk during one of those evenings where I was faced with the choice of driving to the other side of town to get one quart of milk; or just suck up and go get it at WM.

And finally, this week, after truly trying to shop at other local stores, and simply NOT finding the product I wanted, I purchased a shredder (paper shredder) there. My only other option was to buy it online from a site like Amazon, and pay extra $$$ for shipping. I'm already pissed off enough that I need to buy a product to shred all the crap that I get in the mail (unsolicited, I might add) so that some lacky doesn't steal my identity.....I don't want to have to pay someone to ship it to me as well.

So...I was confessing all this to our friend J.E. yesterday, and she also is a WM boycotter....has been much longer than me.... and she said that it was okay to have the occasional foray into the stores, but never get a cart. Wise advice. I had actually thought of that myself, and had refused to get one during recent trips, knowing full well how easy it is to fill one up without even thinking about it, but hearing her actually voice the idea made it more clear to me. There's only so much you can carry to the checkout, and you are far less likely to impulse buy if your arms are full.

Big WM boycott points to J.E.!!!!!

And on a 100-mile-diet note....I have a source for locally grown hydroponic tomatoes! They are yummy too!

1 comment:

sgt@arms said...

It's ok- I went to the dreaded store last week for float trip supplies. Where else can you get grapes, beer, sunscreen and clip-on sunglasses? And the trash bags and papertowels really are cheaper there. It did, however, take me TWO HOURS to locate and purchase less than a shopping cart full of stuff, and that's including several forays across leaving store with the cart parked somewhere inconspicuous. That's how WM gets you- the sheer amount of time it takes to find stuff in there. I think the concept behind it is shoppertainment. Think about it- there are so many people wandering around in there that look like WM may be the only place they ever get to go or see... moms with small children, senior citizens, disabled, low income families, farm folks. You can make a whole day of it! In fact, it's hard not to.